Project Encyclopedia of Romantic Nationalism in Europe
This project is being financed from the resources of the Study Platform on Interlocking Nationalisms (www.spinnet.eu) and has been conceptualized by Joep Leerssen (UvA).
The encyclopedia is estimated to run to 1.350.000 words (2200 pages large octavo, double-column). It consists of three main parts, preceded by an Introduction and followed by a section of Tables. It covers the spread of Romantic Nationalism in Europe in the long nineteenth century, with some attention to the pre-1789 run-up and the post-1918 impact.
Romantic nationalism is foregrounded
- as an autonomous force in European nation-building (not as a side effect of political or social developments);
- as a transnational process with influences and initiatives spreading from country to country;
- as a multi-media process spreading from one cultural field to another.
National and international authors specialized in nationalism studies and in the nineteenth-century history of various cultural fields and institutions as well as experts in the nineteenth-century history of the various regions ofEuropehave been enlisted as advisors and/or contributors.
- Contactpersoon: Prof. dr. Joep Leerssen
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org