On 26 April the Uglobe Decolonisation Group @ Utrecht University, with the Huizinga Institute, and B/A/K will celebrate the English translation of Anton de Kom’s book Wij Slaven van Suriname/We Slaves of Suriname.
We welcome you to join us! The day will start with presentations of present work related to de Kom by early career scholars. The day will culminate in readings from de Kom’s work and from work inspired by it, featuring Thalia Ostendorf and Tessa Leuwsha.
The first session will focus on de Kom’s social world, examining his social and historical context, possibly focusing on women and family members who facilitated and supported his work. The second session invites researchers to connect de Kom with global anti-colonial networks and institutions.
- 9.30 – 11.00 The social world of Anton de Kom
- 11.30-13.00 Connecting de Kom
- 13.00-14.00 Lunch
- 14.00-15.30 Celebrating de Kom studies 1930-2020
- 16.00 We Read, We Create, We Respond – with Tessa Leeuwsha and Thalia Ostendorf
- 17.30 We commune – Borrel, Food, Music.
Date and time
26 April 2022 – 09:30-19.00
- Pauwstraat 13A, Utrecht
- Participation is free. Registration via Eventbrite